• Advertisement

Solar panel cleaning

All areas related to solar panels and photovoltaic (PV) cells and related technology.

Solar panel cleaning

Postby Tracy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi,

Do solar panels need to be cleaned and if so how often and is there any special method/cleaning product that should be used?

Thanks

Tracy
Tracy
HEA Member
HEA Member

Advertisement

Re: Solar panel cleaning

Postby pvclean » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Solar or PV panels will need cleaning at some point. Its common sense that the cleaner the surface the more efficent the panel will perform.
Regarding frequency of cleans required will depend on the location. Some areas suffer from more airbourne dirt than others. I think you'll know when it requires a clean. Normally this would be every 6 months to 1 year. Rain water will leave deposits on the panel along with airbourne dirt and these bake fast onto the surface.

What method is best?? In my own experience I would say Pure Water as it has no chemicals and calcium and chlorine particles have been removed. Pure Water is an excellent cleaning agent and is used to clean windows by most professional window cleaners.
I would contact your local professional window cleaner by using this link http://www.bwca.co.uk/directory2.php These window cleaners have been professionally trained and will use professional equipment such as the Reach and Wash System by Ionic Systems, probably the best known compnaies in it field.

Depending on the pitch of your roof and accessability the Reach and Wash System will be a perfect solution to your many years of environmentally friendly solutions.

P.S Didn't know this but they have a website just launched on this very subject. http://ionicsolar.com/

Problem solved. :D
pvclean
So new I still have bubble wrap

Postby solarpanelcleaninguk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:09 pm

We recommend twice a year , clean in spring and again in autumn .
solarpanelcleaninguk
HEA Newbie
HEA Newbie

Postby Eco Deal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:53 pm

I think you guys would .

I personaly think it depends on the angle pitch of the panels that determin the frequancy of cleaning

ie a steaper pitch will require less cleaning than shallow pitch due to how the rain runs on them.

in hotter countrys the is lots of dry dusty air!!! U.K not really ... :ugeek:
Eco Deal
HEA Expert
HEA Expert

Postby solarpanelcleaninguk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:02 pm

yes i see what you are saying , most times on steap roofs the dirt is at the base of the panel , this would still make a differance in power.
for a solar panel to work 100% it needs to be clean .
solarpanelcleaninguk
HEA Newbie
HEA Newbie

Postby buildright » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:35 am

[quote="Tracy"]Hi,

Do solar panels need to be cleaned and if so how often and is there any special method/cleaning product that should be used?

Thanks

Tracy[/quote]

we use

website is..... http://www.solarcleanuk.com
buildright

Postby Tracy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks guys
Tracy
HEA Member