• Advertisement

Is my solar panels offer a good deal?

All areas related to solar panels and photovoltaic (PV) cells and related technology.

Is my solar panels offer a good deal?

Postby ColinF » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Just had a visit from a Staybrite Solar salesman. If all the information he gave me is correct then it appears to be an excellent investment. Too good to be true?

He said Staybrite manufacture their own dual layer panels here in the UK, which are much stronger and more efficient than single layer, and that this ensures they give optimum performance in this country.

The quote says that the current feed in tariff of 21p would be guaranteed to remain at this price for 25 years and would also be index linked, but the government plan to reduce the FIT in June, so "get your order in now".

He also said an 8 panel system would generate 1.92kWp and return an estimated 9.8% tax free return on investment.

Finally, the price for am 8 panel system (including special "marketing customer" discount) is £7,650.00. Good value or not?

Are there any satisfied/dissatisfied Staybrite customers out there who could confirm or deny any of this, or any other knowledgeable folk who could advise? Would really aprreciate any help.
ColinF
So new I still have bubble wrap

Advertisement

Re: Is my solar panels offer a good deal?

Postby Mattw » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:30 pm

For that price you should be getting a 3 or 3.5 kW system.
Domestic EPCs for Bristol
Senior Business Energy Advisor and Green Deal Trainer at Severn Wye Energy Agency
Mattw
HEA contributor
HEA contributor

Postby earthstoreenergy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Ok, a few points here;
I have just calculated your system assuming that you have the perfect orientation and pitch to produce maximum performance,
Here are the calculations according to SAP ; calculated performance per year=1648KW, FIT @ 21p=£346.08, Savings on electricity bill £107.12, Export £25.54, so total income/savings=£478.74 Cost of system =£7650.00 so ROI in year 1= 6.3%
Now when selling a PV system, any salesperson must abide by the REAL code, it is an MCS requirement. which means you should have this SAP calculation.

I would also be interested to know what a duel layer panel is?
As far as I am aware there is only one company that has manufacturing connections here in the UK and that is Sharp, and they are based in Wrexham, however not the complete panels are made there from start to finish.
Also as far as I am aware Staybrite do not manufacture PV panels, and the ones on their website appear to be polycrystaline, not the more efficient monocrystaline.

Staybrite are a double glazing firm, so now they have become electricians...
I would rather let my Granny install a PV system than let a double glazing firm do the job.
Please, go and find a professional PV company to install a system for you, if you are near Oxfordshire, I will do it for you.
Sorry for the rant, maybe I have seen too many poor installs.
earthstoreenergy
HEA Senior
HEA Senior

Postby Eco Deal » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:38 am

NOT a good deal?

The return on investment is a load of S**T

For the price quoted you should be installing a 3.9 kWp with a ROI of 11% - 13% depending on panel brands etc.
Eco Deal
HEA Expert
HEA Expert

Postby soooty » Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 am

you have bene mislead by a dodgey trader. The sap calculation i would have given to one on my customers given the price and size of system you mention would be:
11 year payback
and 7.1 % return

ask for their REAL registration number (if they have one), and report them to REAL

stay bright are really double glazing salemen. they change the name under which they trade every few years so they they dont have to honor any promises or gaurentees they gave you. They make their living out of ripping of vunerable members of the commuity that are too old to know what they are doing. I have know them charge one old lady over 6k for a back door that was of appauling quality. Its all bullsh*t. stay well clear of them

I can 100% gaurentee they do NOT make their own panels, or have electricians, or solar installers. they will simply subcontract the whole job to a propper installer. thats why u pay more. They dont even make windows really. i could go on.

they will probably call you in a few days to 'sweep' the lead. which means to offer you the same job at a lower price. They achieve this by ripping off their salesman and not paying him, common practice with all marketing firms. They can't even be honest within their own organisation lol. You still should not buy from them however, they know nothing about solar. They will probably go bust before they can install it, and that's your deposit gone, as i very much doubt they are protecting the deposit with REAL as they should be.
soooty
HEA Full Member
HEA Full Member

Postby jianet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:06 pm

So, have you checked the overall efficiency of the offered package? Did they mention the depreciated efficiency I mean by which percentages it'll be depreciated with time like 10 years, 25 years?
Is it made of Poly Silicon? Indeed Solar Panels made of Gallium Arsenide provides higher efficiency and recently it's tested that up to 23.5% can be achieved by it.
jianet

Postby Gavin Leeds Solar » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:26 pm

ColinF wrote:Just had a visit from a Staybrite Solar salesman. If all the information he gave me is correct then it appears to be an excellent investment. Too good to be true?

He said Staybrite manufacture their own dual layer panels here in the UK, which are much stronger and more efficient than single layer, and that this ensures they give optimum performance in this country.
lol - well if they do, then they forgot to get them MCS certified, at least not under the staybright name, as there are no panels listed on the MCS database for Staybright or anything close as the manufacturer.

scam artists pure and simple.
Gavin Leeds Solar
HEA Member
HEA Member

Postby Eco Deal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:38 am

Well spotted Gavin the crafty little sausage ! :D
Eco Deal
HEA Expert
HEA Expert

Postby Colin S-C » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:40 pm

They appear to use Romag panels which are produced in the UK which means only a litle white lie on that front as they aren't made specifically for Staybrite.

Staybrite also use Housechoice as their MCS accredited installer so would Staybrite themselves be under any REAL obligations?
Colin S-C
HEA Expert
HEA Expert

Postby jianet » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Wew, you've been missed with the wrong dealer. For instances like this, you should how to calculate your solar panel and be wise in dealing traders, because some may took advantage of you and will result into overpricing without getting the right amount of service.
jianet

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Solar Panels & Photovoltaic PV Cells