• Advertisement

Radiators cold upstairs, warm downstairs - help

Advice and information all types of boiler systems using gas, oil, LPG or solid fuel.

Radiators cold upstairs, warm downstairs - help

Postby Andrew S » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:13 pm

I have a Vokera Linea 28 combi boiler and have just found that the upstairs radiators are not heating up. The strange thing is that downstairs the radiators are working just fine. The hot water is working up and downstairs which is even more strange.

Whilst its better than the heating being completely off, it is a bit chilly upstairs.
Andrew S
HEA Member
HEA Member

Advertisement

Re: Radiators cold upstairs, warm downstairs - help

Postby JBrown » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 pm

I am no gas engineer and sure there are others better placed to help than me but i will try :)

Do all the radiators have TRVs upstairs, are they fully open?

Do you have any room stats upstairs are they remote or wired?

If you close all the valves downstairs do upstairs heat up now?

Are there any error messages on the boiler?

Have you tried bleeding the system?
JBrown
HEA Senior
HEA Senior

Postby greensystemsuk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Check that there is pressure in the system if it's pressurised. Fill it up to 1 bar if required.

Make sure the room stat/s are all calling for heat and the heating is selected on the controller to ON.

Close all the rads that are working by shutting the TRV's. This will force the hot water from the boiler to the rads that aren't working, as each rad startes to work also close that one until the last one works.

Now open up all the TRV's as you usually have them, job done.
greensystemsuk

Postby Andrew S » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Do all the radiators have TRVs upstairs, are they fully open? Yes

Do you have any room stats upstairs are they remote or wired? No, just downstairs in the hall and it is hard wired

If you close all the valves downstairs do upstairs heat up now? No. We have 3 radiators downstairs and 3 upstairs

Are there any error messages on the boiler? None

Have you tried bleeding the system? Yes, i have and only a little air came out. I re pressurised to about 1.5 as per manual.
Andrew S
HEA Member
HEA Member

Postby Andrew S » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:14 pm

greensystemsuk wrote:
Close all the rads that are working by shutting the TRV's. This will force the hot water from the boiler to the rads that aren't working, as each rad startes to work also close that one until the last one works.

Now open up all the TRV's as you usually have them, job done.

I have tried this and when the downstairs is turned off the boiler seems to be on but no heat going to any of the upstairs radiators. Its really strange as the boiler seems to be working fine.
Andrew S
HEA Member
HEA Member

Postby Andrew S » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Ok i got a gas engineer in. He was completely puzzled though he did all the things you mentioned above. He drained system down and refilled it and all ways well. When we woke up it was off again, arggggg.

He had said it was probably a blockage and as most radiators are relatively new he reckoned it was probably ice in system. Overnight it had been -10.

Anyway, happy end to story (apart from paying out for the gas engineeer) the heating was left overnight and it has become much warmer and the system is working fine. So it kind of supports him thinking it was a frozen pipe.
Andrew S
HEA Member
HEA Member

Postby Crys » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:41 pm

wow minus 10 andrew thats incredible! we have had nothing as cold as that down in my part of the world so far (touch wood) :D

Glad you resolved the issue, we are having the same sort of problems at the moment where downstairs is warm and upstairs not, have had the heating on all night and made no difference. I think its time for an engineer to mine to. Merry blummnig xmas, more money to pay out!!
Crys
HEA Full Member
HEA Full Member

Postby Andrew S » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:17 pm

The radiators pipes froze apparently and defrosted a couple of days later. My heating system has been working fine until i woke up this morning with same problem.

I have noticed there is ice coming out of the plastic pipe on the outside wall. This pipe just goes to an outside drain and ice seems to be forming around a joint which is kind of in the gap between external and internal wall. Could this cause the issue.

If the pipe is frozen and the blockage/ice is on the pipe going to upstairs radiators is there anyway of telling where the frozen pipe is?
Andrew S
HEA Member
HEA Member

Postby Mattw » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Put some insulation on the outside pipe to try and stop it freezing.
Domestic EPCs for Bristol
Senior Business Energy Advisor and Green Deal Trainer at Severn Wye Energy Agency
Mattw
HEA contributor
HEA contributor

Postby Andrew S » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:21 am

Mattw wrote:Put some insulation on the outside pipe to try and stop it freezing.

I will do today as am off, though it isnt this pipe which is stopping the heating working upstairs

It occurred to me after reading another post. If i drain the central heating system and add antifreeze will this unblock the frozen central heating pipes?

What antifreeze should i use for a central heating system?
Andrew S
HEA Member
HEA Member

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Heating and Hot Water Boilers