• Advertisement

How to set my central heating?

Advice and information all types of boiler systems using gas, oil, LPG or solid fuel.

How to set my central heating?

Postby MAS27 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi Guys,

Please can someone help with a bit of argument me and the missus are having. We have a fairly new and good heating system i may add. We have a baxi combi 105 HE, timer, thermostat and radiator valves on all but one radiator, with underfloor heating in the bathroom.

We have different views on when heating should come on and to what temperature it should be set. We understand this is a personal choice. However, our boiler has a dial on so you can set temperature the water is heated to and the water in radiators are also heated to.

Which is the cheapest way to warm your home?
Lower the temperature dial on boiler so heating system water is not as hot, but will take longer to heat house
or
Raise dial so the temperature is hotter but will take shorter period to heat house

I wont say what i think as i dont want to sway things :D Really hope am right and you can confirm ;)
MAS27
HEA Member
HEA Member

Advertisement

Re: How to set my central heating?

Postby JBrown » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:00 pm

I do understand what you mean, most combis can set individual temps that radiators and HW is heated to. Am really not sure which would be the most efficient way, will leave that to someone else.

There was a similar kind of scenario mentioned here heating-hw-systems/topic56.html
JBrown
HEA Senior
HEA Senior

Postby MAS27 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:22 pm

So looks as if we still do not have a winner. :D :D
MAS27
HEA Member
HEA Member

Postby nrg-steve » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:41 pm

If it is a condensing boiler then possibly about mid-point - you want the boiler to operate in condensing mode which it won't if the return hot water is too hot.

In simple terms the house may heat up quicker if the boiler setting is on max and so you shouldn't need the heating on for so long. A low setting and you may need the heating on for longer.

Not aware though of formal recommendations or best advice - up to each person to experiment with the settings that suit their lifestyle.

Steve
Domestic & Commercial Energy Assessor http://www.nrgsurveyors.co.uk
nrg-steve
HEA contributor
HEA contributor

Postby Andrew King » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Hello MAS27,

You have a good, efficient new system with all the necessary controls to give good control and good efficiency. The dial on the boiler is the boiler temperature thermostat and controls the temperature of the water being provided by the boiler. In the winter I suggest you need this set reasonably high (possibly two thirds up) to give an output water temperature of about 70 deg C to help match your heating demand. If your room thermostat is placed in the living room then the typical recommended setting is 21 deg C and if in say the hallway then 18 deg C. You may feel you need this higher if say you have a baby in the house or someone is not well or you may feel comfortable with a slightly lower setting. You will save money with a lower setting (approx 6 -10% with one degree less) but need to decide what you feel comfortable with. With a Combi boiler the Room thermostat will then be the main control for the operation of the boiler for space heating and will switch off the heating when the desired temperature is reached and therefore give efficient operation. For the thermostatic valves on the radiators you shouldn't have one fitted in the same location as the room thermostat otherwise they will interfere with each other but the thermostatic valves allow you to control the temperature in separate rooms in addition to the room thermostat. This can be useful if you have rooms that aren't used so much or if you prefer cooler temperatures in some parts of the house. They can also be useful in rooms such as kitchens where heat is being produced by cooking or where the sun can sometimes pour into the room in the spring or autumn. The thermostatic valve on the radiator will close in as the room is heated by the cooking or the suns rays and reduce the need for heat from the radiator that would otherwise give overheating and maybe have you reaching to open the window.

In spring and autumn when a lower level of space heating is required i.e. just to take the chill off the house it can be a good idea to lower the boiler thermostat setting to say about a third of the way up which may correspond to a water output temperature of about 50 deg C. This just helps to provide a lower level of heating without so much umph to match what is required and will help keep your bills down. Obviously like everything I suggest you experiment to find what suits yourselves and monitor your bills also to keep a tag on the cost. Hopes this helps a bit.

Regards, Andrew K.
Andrew King
HEA Member
HEA Member

Postby MAS27 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:13 pm

in the end we checked the meter after a week of using each others systems. There was not much difference to be fair, but the missus did win and was regrettably right :( Suppose there is a first ti,me for everything. Note to myself, never let her read this :D
MAS27
HEA Member
HEA Member

Postby SallyAnn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:58 pm

We have just had a new heating system installed by the council a combi boiler but we have also had the valves added to the radiator and a new electronic control unit for the time and temperature.

I am wanting to make the best of how it works but dont really know where to start and how to set up. I did ask the council guy but he didnt seem to know and the gas fitter was not really interested in helping me.

Any advice appreciated
SallyAnn
HEA Newbie
HEA Newbie

Postby Mattw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:55 pm

I think I would complain to the council about the gas guy. No point going to the expense of them fitting this system if it is not going to be set right.

Setting a homes temperature is very much a personal thing and would need to be set to reflect how you use the property. and depends what type of thermostat you have. In my home the thermostat, which is located in the lounge, is currently set to run at 18 degrees from 6:30am until 8:30am then 17 degrees until 5pm then 18 degrees until 10pm, then 15 degrees over night. We have the radiator valves in the bedrooms set to mid-range and the boiler heating temperature set low on the boiler (but we have some gadgets fitted to boost the boiler efficiency). We are a mid-terrace Victorian property and the heating doesn't come on much during the day.
Domestic EPCs for Bristol
Senior Business Energy Advisor and Green Deal Trainer at Severn Wye Energy Agency
Mattw
HEA contributor
HEA contributor

Postby SallyAnn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:13 am

Mattw wrote:I think I would complain to the council about the gas guy. No point going to the expense of them fitting this system if it is not going to be set right.

I did think the same and thought they would explain. The gas fitter seemed to just murmur about how busy he was and how many jobs they had him doing in a day.

Mattw wrote:Setting a homes temperature is very much a personal thing and would need to be set to reflect how you use the property. and depends what type of thermostat you have. In my home the thermostat, which is located in the lounge, is currently set to run at 18 degrees from 6:30am until 8:30am then 17 degrees until 5pm then 18 degrees until 10pm, then 15 degrees over night. We have the radiator valves in the bedrooms set to mid-range and the boiler heating temperature set low on the boiler (but we have some gadgets fitted to boost the boiler efficiency). We are a mid-terrace Victorian property and the heating doesn't come on much during the day.

My thermostat is in the hall below the stairs does that make any difference in the temperature i should set it to?

The valves on the raidiators are 1-5 so i will put them on 2-3 as you suggest. I can see 2 dials on the boiler which seem to be temperature of the water and heating? Does this temperature overide of the heating the thermostat in the hall?

I had a read of the paper work for the timer and can see how to set it to come on and off but couldn't see how you would get it turn on/off with various temperatures. So from what you said you leave the heating on all night, really?
SallyAnn
HEA Newbie
HEA Newbie

Postby Mattw » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Sort of, but not really. I have what is know as a digital thermostat or a chronostat. This allows me to set different temperatures at different times of the day. I have a mid-terrace property and the temperature rarely gets below 15 degrees, so my heating doesn't actually come on very much over night. It doesn't come on much during the day either.

It sounds like you have a standard thermostat so you have to change the setting manually if you want to change the temperature. If you could upload a photo of it we can be sure.

You may need to experiment to get the right set-up for yourself. The TRVs in the bedrooms I would set at around 3.

Is there a radiator in the hall? If it also has a TRV then have that set at 5. The TRVs in the lounge start at maybe 4.

Start with the thermostat in the hall set at 20 degrees. When the heating has been on for 30 minutes or an hour go in to each room and see if it is warm enough.

-If all rooms are too warm then reduce the thermostat a degree or 2 and repeat the process a bit later.
-If some rooms are too warm or some too cold then adjust the TRVs as needed.
-If all rooms are too cold then increase the thermostat setting a degree or 2.

Now the amount of time you have the heating on is your choice. Consider having it switch off about 30 minutes before you tend to leave the property and consider reducing further if the temperature is fine when you leave.

The dials on the boiler

-The hot water dial - just adjust that until the hot water comes out of the taps at the temperature you want. I don't have this function on my own boiler, but I wish I could turn the hot water temp down a bit.

-The heating dial - This adjusts the temperature that the water flows through the radiators. I have mine set lower for a few reasons.

-Firstly, I have kids and don't want the rads at 60-70 degrees.
-Secondly, modern condensing boilers need the heating water to return to the boiler below 55 degrees to get the boiler in to condensing mode and run more efficiently. So, If the dial is set too high and water returns to the boiler too hot then it will run less efficiently. The actual setting you need depends on the house and number and size of radiators fitted. The more radiators you have the higher the dial setting. I only have 5 radiators and 3 of them are small, so another reason for me to have it set low.

Finally I have a de-arator (Heating Tadpole) fitted to my heating system and this allows me to turn the heating dial down further.

You don't want the heating dial on the boiler to be too low as the radiators may be too cold and not able to get the rooms up to the temperature called for by the thermostat. In which case the thermostat will be constantly calling for heat.

As a I said a bit of experimentation is needed.
Domestic EPCs for Bristol
Senior Business Energy Advisor and Green Deal Trainer at Severn Wye Energy Agency
Mattw
HEA contributor
HEA contributor

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Heating and Hot Water Boilers