• Advertisement

Grants to replace a back boiler

Share the latest news and views on local, regional and national grants and incentives.

Grants to replace a back boiler

Postby MAS27 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Been mentioning the forum to my friend and suggested she came for a bit of advice but she is not very internet compatible. She is looking to replace an old back boiler with a new combination boiler. Are there any grants to help her with this at present. I remember there was a grant last year similar to the car scrappage that ran. Is there anything similar or any plans for this to be reintroduced?

She works full time and is not in receipty of benefits as far as am aware. Many thanks
MAS27
HEA Member
HEA Member

Advertisement

Re: Grants to replace a back boiler

Postby Mattw » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 am

Ask her to call the energy saving trust (0800 512 012). Generally there isn't much out there at the moment with regards to boiler grants, but each region is different and the EST will have up to date regional information.
Domestic EPCs for Bristol
Senior Business Energy Advisor and Green Deal Trainer at Severn Wye Energy Agency
Mattw
HEA contributor
HEA contributor

Postby Angib » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:18 am

The 'scrappage' systems for boilers might look interesting but you want to check out the alternatives as well. Information I've seen suggested that the big companies that were offering these grants were sufficiently expensive to start with that after the grant had been deducted the total cost was still the same or more than could be got from a local installer.
Angib
HEA Expert
HEA Expert

Postby Johnny2010 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Angib wrote:The 'scrappage' systems for boilers might look interesting but you want to check out the alternatives as well. Information I've seen suggested that the big companies that were offering these grants were sufficiently expensive to start with that after the grant had been deducted the total cost was still the same or more than could be got from a local installer.

This happened to my mother in law last year. We had help via a company called EAGA accessing the boiler scrappage scheme and when she got the quote with the discounts applied i was shocked and no noticeable difference was really made to total price. I had planned nort to get involved but contacted 2 local heating engineers from the chronicle, our local paper. As expected the price was beaten by a local fitter without the scrappage scheme. In the end, we did the grant as well though we did have to complete the paperwork as the installer wasnt that aware of the application process. From memeory we saved about £600 from the EAGA cost.

There is a lot to be said for small local companies, you have just got to be prepared to look a bit harder.
Johnny2010
HEA Member
HEA Member

• Advertisement

Return to Grants and Incentives